Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hail from Minnesota

Well, we're here. And we're settling in.

For those who may have missed the ongoing saga of Anabel's life, Sweetie and I just moved to Minnesota two weeks ago. Eric's little sister (think teenager) is pregnant (hereby known as Maternalgirl, or Magirl for short), so we've moved in with her (and her mother, my mother-in-law, Joyce) (oh, and with my brother-in-law, too. We'll call him Skaterdude, or Skatude for short). The house is nice, the cats are entertaining, and the weather has been Ok.

Eric just left the other night. He was here for 9 days, for a whirlwind tour of family and a wedding. We saw (and Sweetie met) all but three of his relatives, and a bunch of his friends from high school. He also came in and helped with family dynamics and got me settled more into the ways of his mother's house. I think he might be kinda glad that it's me staying and not him, but then, Joyce doesn't push my buttons like she pushes his. And vice versa, of course, which makes it totally entertaining to see them together. For me. Probably not for anyone else.

Last night was the first night that Magirl spent in our new shared bedroom. Sweetie and I have one side of the room, and Magirl (and eventually LittleOne) wil have the other side. It seemed to go rather well, and she didn't complain at all about Sweetie's wakefullness (it was too hot for her to sleep) nor my snoring (which I've heard from both Eric and Sweetie that I do).

Today we went to "the farm". I am now all signed up as a legal shareholder in the farm, so now I am legally allowed to buy raw milk from them. Our farm is an organic farm in Wisconsin, and it's pretty cool. We got a tour of the farm, led by two of the farmers (4yo and 7yo girls) who showed us the horses (Sweetie got to pick apples off a tree and take them over to feed the horses!!!), the cows, the wandering chickens and ducks, the baby goat and the baby rabbit. All were appropriately cute. It was rather eye opening to look over and see calves in little stalls, to ask about them, and to be told by a 7yo that "it's so they don't move too much". We didn't have time to get a closer look, though. The other eye opening moment was when the girls started telling us about how, if one more cat came into the house, their dad would kill it. He didn't want any more cats in the house. Whoa! City life is not country life. We were eating lunch in their front yard while they were telling us that. The older girl looked at our lunch of 6 pb&j sandwiches, two quarts of chopped up watermellon, chips, nuts, and water (for three adults and a toddler) and said, "what're you eating? A snack?" When we said that it was lunch she said "my dad eats five sandwiches when we go for a picnic." I think maybe country lunches are larger than city lunches.

That's the news from Lake Wobegon.
Although I believe that that isn't a real lake.
There's a pond in our backyard. It looks like a lake to me. It has lilypads and herons. And ducks. Doesn't that make it big enough to be a lake?

:)
Anabel

Comments:
Glad to hear you're settling in. I may start harrassing you more now that you're actually working on settling instead of whirlwind touring with Eric. We miss you at BobaKnit! Say hi to Sweetie for me.
 
Sounds like your settling in well! Your farm visit sounds right up Niels' alley. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?